Tuesday, June 19, 2012

"I blessed the rains down in Africa..."


I’m sitting on the iddy biddy porch of our very modest hotel, and the rebar thievery prevention measures make me feel a bit like I’m in jail. I should probably be working on the last edits of a long-overdue manuscript, but instead I’m listening to some live Bon Iver in one ear and the sounds of the city in the other. The temp is bearable after a cool stint associated with an abnormally rainy morning (bless it!), and it’s been a really good day, mainly because we went to…
THE FISH MARKET!  


(Fish heads, fish heads, rolly polly fish heads. We thought these might be the heads of highly-invasive Nile perch.)


  It’s one of my absolute favorite places in the whole city, and it’s definitely worth a visit if you ever get a chance. My biggest fear was slipping and falling into the rivers of slime, blood, and scales, so I took a little extra care today, rolled up my pants, and meandered with caution. We didn’t see anything too crazy this time, but the fishermen like to show off their catch and send you home with an octopus or a giant prawn if you look willing.

 

(In case you ever wondered what the inside of a shark’s mouth looked like…)
Still waiting on the permits.

No comments:

Post a Comment